Cleveland County Animal Services and Adoption Center
Location: Shelby, North Carolina
Type: Full Time
Required Education: DVM or equivalent
Salary: $85,037.00-$104,662.00 (yr)
Internal Number: 1549
The Cleveland County Animal Services Department is currently seeking someone to fill the Staff Veterinarian position. This position performs difficult, advanced, technical and complex professional work. This position is responsible for the daily operations of shelter veterinary services and disease management. The staff veterinarian supervises shelter medicine and disease control programs according to state and local law as well as established protocols, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervisor of the Animal Services Director. Continuous supervision is exercised over a Certified Veterinary Technician. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm. The Staff Veterinarian may be required at times to respond to phone inquiries outside of normal working hours. Conducts medical examinations of animals. Performs spay/neuter surgeries on unsterilized animals. Monitors daily health status of shelter as part of disease management. Works with shelter and veterinary staff and directs actions regarding treatments. Develops and maintains preventive medicine protocols. Maintains medical and pharmaceutical records for shelter. Trains staff on matters related to shelter medicine.
Candidates must have comprehensive knowledge of related industry, organization and departmental policies, practices, procedures, organization and departmental legal guides, recommendations, best practices, ordinances, and laws. Thorough knowledge of veterinary periodicals and white papers as well as new and emerging veterinary techniques. Comprehensive knowledge of shelter medicine standards of care. Comprehensive knowledge of standard office software (spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, databases, etc). Ability to understand and apply governmental accounting practices in maintenance of financial records. Ability to compute volumes and strengths required to properly medicate animals. Ability to make decisions related to euthanasia of animals. Ability to handle a wide range of emotions from citizens and staff. Ability to maintain composure under stress.
Requires Veterinary Medicine License (DVM or VMD), or related field and 1-3 years’ experience in providing veterinary care for cats and dogs, or equivalent combination of education and experience
About Cleveland County Animal Services and Adoption Center
The Cleveland County Animal Services Department is responsible for the management of the County's animal services and adoption functions. We are a managed-admissions municipal shelter located in Shelby, NC.
Some of our functions include:
- Maintain a County animal shelter for the temporary housing of impounded animals.
- Apprehend and return to the owner or impound any animal roaming free.
- Administer and enforce County rabies vaccination program.
- Provide, at times, free or low-cost sterilizations and rabies vaccinations of dogs and cats owned by Cleveland County residents.
- Provide twenty-four (24) hour emergency call-out field service.
- Enforce laws and ordinances related to animal care and regulation.
- Collect fines for ordinance violations.
- Coordinate and provide response for animal-related complaints, problems, or public records requests.
- Provide support for the Cleveland County Animal Care Advisory Committee.
- Develop strategies and procedures in support of the County's animal care policies to include adoptions, community cat management, and intake mitigation.
- Conduct community education programs and develop a broad-based marketing strategies to ...showcase the need for public support and to increase the adoption rate and live outcomes.
- Provide necessary support for Disaster-Emergency Management functions related to animals.